Authored ByDon Dickinson
This article outlines how to apply a support update, subscription renewal or other changes to a Red or Green USB license key. It also describes troubleshooting steps and answers frequently asked questions. This process requires internet access.
- Before getting started
- Applying the license update
- Frequently asked questions
- Getting help
This article outlines how to apply an update to a Red or Green USB license key. This process requires your license is currently plugged in and working on your machine.
If you are working on a machine without internet access, please see "Update a Red or Green USB license on a machine without internet access."
Before continuing this article, you should be certain that you have a red or green colored USB license. If you received a softkey activation code from Zemax Sales, you do not own a USB dongle. If you need to update a softkey license, refer to "Transferring and updating a softkey license." For Black USB keys, see "Is my key under current support?."
Note that if your licensed machine does not have internet access, you can update the license following offline by following the steps in this article.
This section describes how to apply a license update for a Red or Green USB license key. This section is broken into two sections: automatic and manual updates. Automatic updates require no action from you, but they must be verified in the Zemax License Manager. If an automatic update is not applied for some reason, you should apply the update manually.
For all versions of OpticStudio or the Zemax License Manager released after August 2016, available updates will be automatically applied when OpticStudio or the Zemax License Manager is launched.
- Updates need to be done on the machine where the license is plugged in. So for OpticStudio network licenses, this means the server machine that hosts the license rather than the OpticStudio client machine.
- Automatic updates require internet access
- Updates are applied silently by the Zemax License Manager. There is no confirmation message when applied.
- The automatic update occurs once each day, the first time that you launch the Zemax License Manager or OpticStudio application.
So, before trying the manual update method below, launch the Zemax License Manager on the machine hosting the license. To check if an automatic update has been applied, look at the "License Information" or "View LIcense" tab and verify the "Support expiration" field now reflects the renewed expiration date or any other changes to the license as reflected in the update email you were sent.
If the automatic updates did not apply or if you are using a version of OpticStudio or the Zemax License Manager released prior to August 2016, updates can be manually applied according to the following instructions.
- On the machine where the USB license is plugged in, open the Zemax License Manager (ZLM) from Windows Start...Programs...Zemax License Manager.
- For ZLM versions dated May 2019 or later, navigate to Manage Licenses. For ZLM versions dated November 2018 or earlier, navigate to License Information.
- Locate the license for which you received an update code from the list and press Update.
- Enter the update code provided to you by the Zemax sales team, including the brackets . Press OK. You should then receive a message of a successful update. If you receive any error messages, see the frequently asked questions below.
- Verify the updated license information.
- For ZLM versions dated May 2019 or later, navigate to View License and note your license's updated information.
- For ZLM versions dated November 2018 or earlier, navigate to License Information.
- If any information is incorrect, move to "Getting help."
This section details some of the common questions that occur when updating softkey licenses.
I get an error when applying an update code! What should I do?
- Verify that you have included the brackets  in the update code.
- Verify the update has not already been applied in the "License Information" or "Manage Licenses" page. Check the support expiration date and any other changes against the update email you were sent.
If you have verified you don't already have the update, check that your firewall is not blocking communication with the Zemax Server: open Internet Explorer (no other browsers!) and navigate to the following address: https://zws.zemax.com/OpticStudioService.svc.
If you are able to communicate with the server, you will see a page that says "Metadata publishing for this service is currently disabled..." If you do NOT see this text, your firewall settings are preventing your machine from talking to our license server. Work with your IT person to resolve this problem, or use the link at the end of this answer to perform an offline update.
Once you've confirmed that you can "see" the license server, you can force your software to check for an available update to your softkey license (only Applicatable if you are using the Sept 2016 or newer Zemax License Manager). To do this, go to C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Local\ZemaxLicenseManager\ and find a file called "Settings.XML." Delete this file, then re-launch the Zemax License Manager.
If you continue to experience issues, you can try the offline method linked in the next section.
Can I update my license information without connecting to the internet?
Yes! Connecting to the internet is the easiest way to perform the update. If the machine where the key is hosted cannot be connected to the internet, or the process fails, you can update the license following the steps in this article
If I update a network license while seats are in use or checked-out from the network, will there be any interruption?
Any client machines and the keyserver using the network license will see the updated license information immediately. If you have any checked-out (offline) seats, they will not display the updated information until they are checked back in to the license pool. Updating the license while they are in use will not interrupt client's use of the license.
How often does the automatic update occur?
The automatic update occurs once each day, the first time that you launch the Zemax License Manager or OpticStudio programs.
If you receive any error messages while updating your license or if the updated information is incorrect, contact email@example.com for further help. Please include any error messages as well as your license key number (such as L000001). It would also help to send a screen shot of the Sentinel Keys page located at http://localhost:1947/_int_/devices.html.
This article has covered how to update a Red or Green USB license key. Please refer to the linked articles for procedural and troubleshooting steps for other licensing issues.