The following information applies to perpetual versions of OpticStudio that are installed locally (on-premise).
It is applicable to OpticStudio 16.5 Sp1 and above. A complete chart of requirements for earlier OpticStudio
releases is available here
Supported Operating Systems
- 64-bit Windows operating system is required.
- Windows 10 (Anniversary update 1607 or newer recommended)
- Windows 8.1 (8.0 is not supported)
- Windows 7 Service Pack 1
- Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, Server 2012 R2, or newer
Mac OS, Linux, and Virtual Machines
Although OpticStudio is intended to run on the Windows platforms listed above, you can run OpticStudio on Linux, Unix, and BSD based operating systems like Mac OS by using a virtual machine with a Windows environment. More information can be found in the KB article How to Run OpticStudio on an Intel-based Mac Computer
Note that all operating systems are supported for OpticStudio Online. Please see more information about requirements for the online edition, below.
Minimum Hardware Requirements
- 64 bit Intel or AMD processor. Multiple core processor recommended for optimal performance.
- 2GB system memory. 2GB per processor core recommended for optimal performance.
- Graphics card that supports DirectX 11.0 and 512mb Video RAM.
- Disk drive with 3.5GB space free for the initial download and installation. 100GB free recommended for working files.
- Minimum display resolution of 1024 x 768 pixels (Full HD 1920x1080 recommended)
- Internet and email access recommended for updates and support but not required.
- Adobe® Reader or compatible application for program documentation
- Network licensed OpticStudio requires TCP/IP network
- Two-button mouse with scroll wheel or equivalent trackpad
Optimum Hardware Specifications
OpticStudio is very efficient and will run on hardware that meets minimum specifications, but it is also a big number-crunching application, capable of handling extremely large problems. Bigger and better hardware will trace rays faster, though there are sensible choices you can make to spend your budget wisely. Please see the following articles for more information and examples.
As of OpticStudio 16.5 Sp1, OpticStudio requires .NET framework 4.6.2. The installer will download and install the required .NET version for you automatically if you have Internet access.
System Requirements for OpticStudio Online
Online licenses run OpticStudio from a browser, and so the only system requirement is an HTML5-capable browser (like Chrome, Firefox, Safari, or IE11) and an internet connection.
There are no hardware requirements
Zemax provides dedicated servers to host OpticStudio, and it is delivered to your browser as an optimized video stream. Each server running OpticStudio Online has 16 GB of RAM, a 4 Core CPU, a solid-state drive, and a dedicated NVIDIA GPU.